BKF - Butterfly Chair

Designed by Argentinian architect Jorge Ferrari-Hardoy in 1938 while working for Grupo Austral, the chair was named BKF after his design partners, Antonio Bonet and Juan Kurchan. On July 24, 1940, it was first shown at the 3rd Salon de Artistas Decoradores in Buenos Aires. That year, MoMA design director Edgar Kaufmann Jr acquired them for the Museum's permanent collection, calling it "one of the best efforts of modern chair design." Likewise, Florence Knoll recognized its potential and added it to the Knoll line in 1947. US production timeline: Artek Pascoe 1941-48. Knoll 1947-51. Original black canvas cover, white tubular frame (14 mm). 90 cm x 75 cm x 75 cm. Condition: good, normal traces of use. Price: Sold